Research Objectives / Questions
- Measure current relative performance of community hospital in-patient care for older people. What does current community hospital practice look like?
- To identify the characteristics of community hospital in-patient care for older people that optimises performance. What does 'best' look like?
- To investigate the current impact of community hospital in-patient care for older people on secondary care and the potential impact if the community hospital care was optimised to best practice nationally. What might the effects of"best" look like?
- To determine if there is an association between the configuration (capacity and proportions) of short-term, community-based services (i.e. community hospital wards, home-based rehabilitation, care home rehabilitation and enabling services) and reduction in secondary care bed utilisation by older people. Is there an optimum whole system configuration, and what are the tolerances?
- To develop web-based interactive toolkits for use by local commissioners and community hospital teams that support operational changes to optimise performance.