Research Objectives / Questions
- Measure current relative performance of community hospital in-patient care for older people. What does current community hospital practice look like?
- To identify the characteristics of community hospital in-patient care for older people that optimises performance. What does 'best' look like?
- To investigate the current impact of community hospital in-patient care for older people on secondary care and the potential impact if the community hospital care was optimised to best practice nationally. What might the effects of "best" look like?
- To determine if there is an association between the configuration (capacity and proportions) of short-term, community-based services (i.e. community hospital wards, home-based rehabilitation, care home rehabilitation and enabling services) and reduction in secondary care bed utilisation by older people. Is there an optimum whole system configuration, and what are the tolerances?
- To develop web-based interactive toolkits for use by local commissioners and community hospital teams that support operational changes to optimise performance.